Kindness is Calling a Loved One
Welcome to another #KindnessisDoughp Monday! Every week during Mental Health Awareness Month, we’ll be focusing on a different way that you can take care of your mental health.
Today, let’s talk about the importance of checking in with loved ones - friends, family, your coworkers - really anybody that you care about!
Checking in with loved ones has many health benefits in all areas of life, but it is especially beneficial for your mental health.
Some of these benefits include:
- Lower stress levels - Studies have shown that people who spend time with family and friends find healthier ways to cope with stress. Calling a loved one that you trust will support you is a great way to get some stress off your chest in a healthy way.
- Improved mood - Not only does calling someone you enjoy talking to improve your mood by talking to them, but it also gives you the chance to bring positivity to them! Knowing that you’ve put a smile on someone else’s face just makes you feel good inside.
- Creates strong emotional support - It’s true: the emotional support provided by strong social ties enhances your psychological well-being! When you’ve got a strong social network, cherish it! You never know how much someone else needs your support like you need theirs.
- Encourages positive behaviors - With so much going on in the world, we can always use more positivity! Checking in with someone you love is the perfect way to spend time doing something positive, for yourself and for your loved one.
Now that we know checking in with loved ones can significantly improve our mental health, it’s time to get the conversation started! Here are some conversation starters for you when pick up the phone:
- What have you been doing for fun?
- What are your days like recently?
- What’s something you’re really looking forward to?
- Tell me the best thing about your week.
- Let me tell you about my favorite cookie dough: Doughp!
Okay, okay, we just had to throw that last one in there. But let’s be real: there’s a lot to talk about when it comes to our mind-blowingly delicious cookie dough!
In all seriousness though, Doughp’s mission is all about ending the stigma around mental health and addiction recovery. Through our partnership with the SHE RECOVERS Foundation and mental health campaigns (just like #KindnessisDoughp), our goal is to make you feel supported and loved. We want you to know that we’re here for you and that you’re so much stronger than you believe yourself to be!
So today, pick up the phone and call someone dear. We promise you’ll be glad you did. And maybe, just maybe, enjoy some cookie dough while you’re at it. Remember: life is raw, but cookie dough helps.
Have a Doughp day!